In the Ukrainian capital the Church of the Virgin Mary is the largest church in Ukraine. The church was built in 1782, and was opened in 1812. In the 19th century, a new Church was established on the site of the church where the St. Sophia was converted. This church is one of the oldest churches in Ukraine. The church is now part of the Orthodox Church, with its own temple and a church sanctuary. It is a popular destination for visitors, especially for those interested in spiritual and religious life. In the past, the church has been closed for political reasons.